When you first create a Google+ Local page it isn’t very exciting visually. In fact it is downright boring and a little confusing.
There’s a weird blue square inside a circle as the Profile Photo and an even weirder swirly thing in the Cover photo. Neither of these really make your Google+ Local page stand out at all do they?
Not to fear. It is really easy to replace these with something that better represents your local business!
Level of difficulty: Low
Time needed: Under 10 minutes (providing you have the images already)
Here’s what you’ll need
- An image that is at least 250px by 250 px for your Profile Photo.
- An image that is at least 480 pixels wide by 270 pixels high for the Cover Photo.
Struggling for an image idea? Check out this post from Phil Rozek that showcases 10 classy Google+ Local pages.
For my own page I chose an image that my husband took of our local creek in flood. If you are using someone else’s photo make sure you’ve got the right to do so.
You could even check out Canva.com which is an Australian company that allows you to be your own graphic designer online!
Getting the images online
Ok great you’ve got your two images. Now to get them up online and this is really easy I promise.
- Log into Google+ and go to your Google+ Local page. I do this by clicking on my photo in the top right and then selecting the Google+ page. I just find that is the easiest way to do it.
- On your Google+ Local page, hover over the top left image (the Profile picture) and you’ll see the option to change the image:
- Select the Upload option and upload your profile picture. If it is larger than 250px by 250px you’ll need to crop it before it can be published.
- Click on ‘Set as profile picture’.
- You’ll be given the opportunity to share your new Profile picture as a post, just click on ‘Cancel’ to avoid doing this.
- Now hover over the right hand image (the Cover image) and you’ll see the option to change the image:
- In the next screen select the Upload option and then upload your image.
- Click on ‘Select cover photo’.
- You’ll be given the opportunity to share your new cover photo as a post, just click on ‘Cancel’ to avoid doing this.
And you’re done! Congratulations on creating your more visually appealing Google+ Local Page.
Want more easy to understand articles on getting your local business found online? Subscribe to my weekly newsletter today!
Too much information? Prefer to concentrate on serving your customers and let someone else concentrate on Google? Contact me to find out how I might be able to help you get found online.
Image via Flickr user Hery Zo Rakotondramanana